Trade Around the World
Activity 3 Scoring Guide: Formative Assessment
1. Either list or count the number of items from the survey that were imported to the United States from other countries. Explain why those products, either the amount or type of imported items, are important to people in the Untied States.
2. Identify several items from the list that not made in the United States. Foods are good examples, but certain clothing such as socks, baseball caps may also be predominantly from other countries on the survey. Possible effects on people's lives could be:
- If people were not able to buy those items, they would need to make other choices, or do without. For example, people might wear stocking caps rather than baseball caps.
- Television viewing would be affected since nearly all TVs are imported.
- Cell phones would not be as available since most are imported.
- Jobs move to countries where items can be produced at less cost.
- People become dependent on imported goods and stop producing their own.