Protecting Individual Rights
Activity 1 Scoring Guide: Formative Assessment
- The students should have been given a hearing before people who were impartial. During this hearing the students should have presented their side of the story. Because they were not given the opportunity to do this they did not receive the right of habeas corpus or protection from wrongful punishment.
- They did not have the opportunity to have their parents, a lawyer, or anyone else serve as their counsel.
- Suspending the students without giving a reason or letting them explain is not fair treatment because there wasn’t a presumption of innocence. The principal assumed they did something wrong and deserved the punishment.
- The students weren't given any notice before the suspension began.
- The students were not able to appeal the principal's decision.